One thing that bothers me a lot is how much food that goes to waste every year. People just throw out their leftovers or half empty food packaging. A soft banana goes right in the trash. There is so much we could spare.
- Soft fruit – slice them up, put them in the fridge and use them for smoothies. If you have some soft banans you can also make a delicious banana cake .
- A small piece of cheese: grate the cheese and use it on a potato gratin (can be frozen as well).
- Old bread – slice it up and turn the breadcrumbs in some olive oil, salt and herbs and fry them in a pan. Voilá croutons!
- A few boiled potatoes left since yesterdays dinner – make some mashed potatoes and add whatever piece of meat you have and make a lunchbox to put in the fridge.
All in – when I have a little bit of everything in the fridge I usually make what I call an “all in”. I chop everything up and put it in either a frying pan or in the oven. It often turns out very good 🙂
Please comment if you have a great saving tip so that we don´t have to waste so much food 🙂
I would like to sum up with a recipe of my favorite food – chicken salad! It could be made on a hundred different ways. So I´ll just let you know how I think when I´m cooking.
- The main ingredient – the chicken! I make my own marinade the night before so that the flavors can soak in. I want the chicken to taste a lot.
- Something a bit strong – I want something that stand out without taking over the dish. Ruccola is the perfect candidate for that.
- Something crunchy – I need some chewing resistance. so I add some seeds. My favorite is pumpkin seeds.
- Something cheesy – the finishing touch: some salad cheese.
- Something salty – if it’s one of those days when I allow my self to eat a bit extra meat, I´ll add some bacon.
- Something fresh – watermelon and pomegranate are my to favorites to freshen up the dish with.